- Knee or hip pain stopping you from doing the things you love?
- Been told you will have to have a knee or hip replacement but that you are too young to have it yet?
- Scared to play sport, join an exercise class for fear of making your joints worse?
Don’t give up hope. There is a proven treatment you can try. GLA:D is great for those suffering from osteoarthritis of the hips or knees. It has been shown to effectively reduce pain and the need for surgery for some.
You can use your health fund to help cover the initial assessment and exercise sessions or Medicare (CDM plan from GP) will also help cover the initial assessment.
Please don’t suffer, thinking you can’t do anything other than take medications for osteoarthritis. We can help!
GLA:D® Australia is a not-for-profit initiative led by La Trobe University
All GLA:D Classes are held at our Burleigh Heads Physio Clinic
GLA:D®, Good Life with osteoArthritis: from Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
We are now running GLA: D at Burleigh. If you have OA in your knees and or hips, you can start.
Benefits of our GLA:D Classes:
- Research from the GLA:D® program in Australia shows an average pain reduction of 36%, reduced analgesic consumption, reduction in perceived need for surgery, and clinically meaningful improvement in joint confidence.
GLA:D® Education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities, ensuring participants develop skills to self-manage their osteoarthritis. By strengthening and improving confidence with exercise, participants develop better capacity to become or stay active, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
The Process for Joining GLA:D Classes
- Book a 30 min appointment with our Physio Christina
- in this appointment you’ll tell her about your goals for the program and
- she’ll assess you to see what your baseline joint range, strength and functional limitations are
- Then you’ll join the exercise class but you’ll be given exercises specifically for your current level
- These classes will be run twice per week for 6 weeks
- There’s also a 1-hour education session
- we discuss joint health, how to choose beneficial activities and pain prevention
- If you’d like to continue classes after the first 6 weeks you are welcome to do so to maintain your strength
- You can claim the initial assessment and group classes through your private health insurance if you’re covered for Physio
- You can use a care plan (EPC or CDMP) for the initial one on one assessment
- Small groups – maximum of 6
Please contact us for further information (also below) or to book.
The GLA:D® Australia program consists of:
- An initial appointment to explain the program and measure your current functional ability
- Two education sessions which teach you about OA, its risk factors, treatment options, and self-management strategies.
- Group exercise sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve your control of the joint, your confidence in the joint and your strength
- A review at 3-months with your physiotherapist to discuss progress and goals, and re-measure your functional ability
- Completion of a questionnaire on registration with the program, and then again at 3 and 12 months after registration to measure changes in areas such as pain, function, quality of life, and medication use